In 1728 one German man, Johann Geyter, opened the first privat pharmacy in Kiev, near Andreevsky Uzviz. He received a licence under a decree of Emperor Peter II. The pharmacy lasted about 110 years, until 1835, after which the house was sold and passed from one people to another. In 1983, the restoration and creation of a pharmacy museum began in this building. It has opened in 1986.
The museum collection numbers over 50,000 exhibits. They include pharmacy furniture of 18th-19th centuries; samples of glassware of various epochs; fragments of manuscripts of the Kyivan Russ period; Russian, German and Polish pharmacopoeias of the 19th-20th centuries; text-books of medicine, pharmacy and therapy of those times; prescription registers; personal archival documents of Kyiv chemists. At the underground vault is placed an exposition telling about the history of medicine and pharmacy: a hall-cave, a Christian hall, a “hut of sorceress”, a wine-cellar, an alchemist’s laboratory.
Kiev region, 7 Prytysko-Mykilska St, Kyiv (metro station “Kontraktova Ploshcha”)
50.463987 | 30.514166
M-Sa 9am-5pm, Su 9am-4pm
(044) 425-24-37, 425-40-59