The cemetery was founded by Mennonite Germans who founded their colony on the island at the end of the 18th century. Germans Mennonites owned Khortytsia until 1916, when they sold the island to the possession of the city of Olexandrivsk. After 1916, the island of Khortytsia became part of the city, there were settlements of townspeople who, after their death, found their last shelter at the Khortytsʹke cemetery. Sub-burying and new burials in the outlying areas continue to this day. The graves of the Mennonite Germans remained not so much on the necropolis, most of the graves in the cemetery date from the second half of the 20th century. The cemetery is small in size, with several sections on it.