This architectural structure stands in the center of Cherkasy on the Dnieper hill above the Castle hill, and of course the architect was Vladislav Gorodetskiy. It was built in 1891 as the first ministerial male gymnasium. Established November 26, 1880. The house was built on the territory of the estate of the merchant Sokolov. Incidentally, the first city gymnasium is its successor.
The question of school building arose in early 1891 at a meeting of city Duma. Rudolf Hammer, a German-born engineer, managing Cherkasy sugar plant, a member of the City Duma and an active public figure proposed to entrust the construction to Vladislav Gorodetsky, who at the time was a student at the Academy of Art in St. Petersburg and held practice at architect of Kiev school district military engineer colonel Chekmarev as his assistant. Of course Hammer and Gorodetsky were friends. Vladislav had already visited Cherkasy several times.
The building was created in modern style with elements of Neoroman architecture.
At that time the gymnasium had two buildings. The main housed classrooms for high school students, teachers and administrative staff of the institution. The second building was intended for teaching younger students.
There had studied future public and cultural figures whose names remain in history. Among them Bolshevik Moysey Uritsky, aviators-brothers Eugene, Ivan and Andrew Kasyanenko (completed in 1905-1906), writer Les Gomin. It was an elite school of Cherkasy, where only male studied. Each school teacher was engaged in tutoring. The kids of rich Grabar and local entrepreneurs studied at the teachers.
After coming to power of the Bolsheviks, gymnasium reformats. It creates Cherkasy №1 School in 1918. Music school named after Gulak-Artemovskiy has been there since 1968. During reconstruction, carried out in 1922-1923 years the third floorwas built and are interconnected both buildings of the gymnasium. In 1985, another two-storeyed building was demolished and in its place later erected a new building of Cherkasy Music school.
Also, the band of the gymnasium completed Svyatoprechystenska house church, which was located on the site of modern libraryof Taras Shevchenko. It was ruined by communist regime in 1961. This church also belongs to the architectural heritage of Vladislav Gorodetskiy. It was entrusted to him after the construction of the gymnasium.
Cherkasy region, Cherkasy city, 6 Baidy Vyshnevetskoho Street
49.447315 | 32.063362